- Project Runeberg -  Year-book of the Swedish-American Historical Society / Volume 10 (1924-1925) /
61

(1908-1925)
Table of Contents / Innehåll | << Previous | Next >>
  Project Runeberg | Like | Catalog | Recent Changes | Donate | Comments? |   

Full resolution (TIFF) - On this page / på denna sida - Sidor ...

scanned image

<< prev. page << föreg. sida <<     >> nästa sida >> next page >>


Below is the raw OCR text from the above scanned image. Do you see an error? Proofread the page now!
Här nedan syns maskintolkade texten från faksimilbilden ovan. Ser du något fel? Korrekturläs sidan nu!

This page has been proofread at least once. (diff) (history)
Denna sida har korrekturlästs minst en gång. (skillnad) (historik)

that the redskins had had a festive entertainment during the
night.

As evidence that the hotels of that day did not have as well
supplied tables or entertained their guests with such delicious
meals, as is the custom in our own day, it may be stated that
when Anderson one time took supper in the leading hotel of
Taylor’s Falls the entire meal consisted of corn bread and boiled
rutabagas, together with a concoction made of some species of
wild grass, to take the place of tea. No kind of meat, not even
sugar nor molasses, were found on the table. For such a meal he
had to pay twenty-five cents. At this time there lived at the
place where Vasa later was built a man by the name of Otis, who
conducted a “stopping place”. Another white man by the name
of Jim Brown is mentioned by the old settlers as having lived in
this district. He led a wandering life, lived by hunting, but had
not broken any land.

In the years 1853, 1854, and 1855, several immigrants arrived.
In 1853 Bengt Jonson and Åke Jönson, both from Blekinge,
arrived. The first settled by Goose Lake. The same year Olof
Olin and Ericson, who built their homes by Hay Lake, came from
Helsingland.

About the same time, or around 1853-1854, Eric Carlson and
Östberg lived by Sand Lake. Carlson moved to Cambridge in
Isanti County and died there. Östberg returned to Sweden.

The first Swedes to settle in the neighborhood of the St.
Croix River between Marine and Taylor’s Falls were Erland
Peterson and Johannes Peterson from Kronoberg district, who
came in 1854. The latter called his place Yfslycke after his
home in Sweden. Erland Peterson is still living on the place
where he first settled. Johannes Peterson is dead. Among the
remaining Swedish immigrants who came here during the year
1854 are mentioned Jonas Granstrand, Anders Petter Jonson,
Magnus Holcomb, Jonas Gabrielson, Johan Svenson, Gustaf
Peterson, Johannes Håkanson, Rosell, Carl Eklund et al. Most of
these were from the Kronoberg district. In 1858, or thereabouts,
Nils Bengtson, Salomon Holcomb, Johan Holcomb, Carl Ekdahl,
Johan Magnuson, Anders Larson, Magnus Håkanson, Sven W.
Johnson, Lindgren, and others came. All the above named
persons settled in the country and became farmers. Among the older

<< prev. page << föreg. sida <<     >> nästa sida >> next page >>


Project Runeberg, Mon Jul 4 09:28:04 2016 (aronsson) (download) << Previous Next >>
http://runeberg.org/ybswedam/10/0063.html

Valid HTML 4.0! All our files are DRM-free