Project Runeberg comes to you from LYSATOR at Linköping University in Sweden.
Här finns instruktioner på
Instructions for Proofreading
These English proofreading instructions are somewhat out of date
compared to the Swedish ones. Use
the Swedish instuctions if you can.
As a volunteer, helping Project Runeberg to proofread OCR text from
facsimile pages is easy. Just follow these steps.
The purpose of proofreading is to facilitate searching the text
and to cut-and-paste it, not to emulate exactly the printed page.
Therefore, join hyphenated and spaced-out words, and leave out
emphasis accents. Greek letters and phonetic language can be
transcribed to the Latin alphabet. For the purpose of exactly
emulating the printed page, we still have the facsimile image.
There are two pages available to help you determine what to
proofread. We have both a chapter-level
proofreading status page and a page-level
proofreading status page.
- Resize your web browser window to maximum size. If you
cannot see all the contents, use the scroll bars to the right.
- Edit the text in the lower frame to correspond with the facsimile
image in the upper frame.
- Use only plain text. Do not use HTML codes or entities.
- Leave a blank line between paragraphs. If the first line of
each paragraph is indented, then remove the indentation and insert a
blank line instead.
- Join hyphenated words at line breaks.
The city of Stock- -> The city of Stockholm
holm is the capital is the capital
If a word is hyphenated over a page break, move the first half of
the word over to the second page.
- Join words written in spaced out type.
s p a c e d o u t -> spaced out
- Remove emphasis accents in encyclopedic works.
Ta'rtu -> Tartu
- If the printed text has a spelling error or presents facts that
are wrong, leave them as they are. Leave old spelling as it is. When
the edited text looks like the printed text, your job is done. We are
trying to present old books here, not to write new texts.
- Remove headings and footers. If all pages have for instance
the name of the author, the chapter or something like that at the top
or bottom, then remove this. Also remove page numbering and sheet
numbering when present.
- If you want feedback from us, enter your email address
(optional) in the lower frame before you press Save. This address
will not be exposed on our website and will not be used for spam.
- When you are done, press Save. This brings you to a "Thank
you" page, from where you can either return to the original web page,
or continue to proofread the next or previous page in sequence. If
you return to the original web page, you might have to reload
the page in your browser.
- More detailed proofreading instructions (in Swedish) are available
here. If you have any questions or comments, send us a line at email@example.com.
Project Runeberg, 2020-10-27 23:58 (runeberg)